The name of August in Belarusian means “time of the harvest”, so it’s logical that the projects started in spring bore fruit now. I started trying to propagate sundew (Drosera aliciae) from leaves in March. Most recommendations advice to put them into distilled water and under a bright light (at last my light bank came in handy).
I put 3 leaves first into a covered plastic cup, which soon became infested with drowned green flies, which in poetic justice bout I fed to the mature sundew. The leaves then went into screw top glass bottles on the side. The leaves inside are still green, but there’s nothing on them.
I also put two leaves on top of the soil in a pot, which stands in gravel and distilled water filled tray in the same light bank. In 6 month the leaves went from green to red, one started to brown. But apparently, until the leaves turn black, they are undead. The moss, however, came from nowhere and doing well.
Yesterday I’ve noticed something on one of the leaves. I swear there was nothing there on Monday. My colleagues argued that it was either a piece of fluff or moss. Thank Motorola for the phone camera, now they can’t deny that it is a little sundew plant.
24/08 The D. aliciae now has 2 plants on the same leaf. In the meanwhile, 5 out of 5 D. capensis leaves suspended in water produced a platelet just a month after the start. Of course, now I want to have a “classical Belarusian” D. intermediata. Don’t ask me why, all collectors are mad, and it looks like I am one of them.